Sunday, May 13, 2007

Eurovision Song Contest

I have never really been interested in the Eurovision Song Contest until last year and this year. Last year because Finland had their very first victory ever with a very unconventional song and this year because they arranged the contest.
Finnish people have very low selfesteem as a country. The intersting thing is that when I moved to Sweden, I found out that the swedish people seem to think the same about themselves. That suprised me as I have always belived that Sweden as a nation has very good confidence.
But anyway, my point is that I hope Finland can by the Eurovision Song Contest get better confidence as a nation. I find it admirable that the finnish people had the courage to participate in a "schlager" contest with a hard rock song last year, and by having the courage to be different, also being able to win the whole thing!
This year when it was the Finns turn to arrange the competition they also had the courage to not be so serious and instead of having very serious landscape video clips, they had video clips were they made jokes about themselves and about what they do in Finland. If having the courage to stick out from the normal norms is not a sign of good selfesteem then what is?

No comments: