Friday, September 7, 2007

Blogging, 21st century version of group therapy?

The last few days I have felt such a strong feeling of relief for having my blog and my blogfriends who support me. I started thinking about the background in blogging and about when it all started. Rebecca Blood has written an interesting article about the history of blogs. Did you for example know in 1998 there were just a handful of sites of the type that are now identified as weblogs (so named by Jorn Barger in December 1997)? Rebecca Blood also talk in her article about how she started valuing her own point of views more by blogging.
Another interesting point she has, is how bloggers get engaged in eachothers lives, and get strength and improved selfesteem from being heard and having an honest interactive disussion about their lives with other bloggers.
As said in an article by abcnews: Blogging is a 21st century version of group therapy. I definetly find blogging as part of my therapy to heal and I can definetly say that it is helping me. So many times, people feel alone in their thoughts and they feel that nobody understand them. By blogging you find that you are not alone, there are many other people out there who understands you, and because you are "airing your dirty laundry in public", they feel that they can be more honest about their lives too. Dr.Deb writes in her blog about the Harris interactive survey that was done in march 2005 where 48,7% of the people participating in the survey (in US) said that they blog because it is a form of therapy.
I just find this phenomenom about blogging as therapy so interesting. Blogging was a strange concept to me still 6 months ago, and I can´t actually remember how I got the idea to start blogging? Maybe it was just some random blog that I read for some reason. Anyway, because this became such a "scientific" post (at least compared to my other ones :)) I would find it really interesting to know why and how you started blogging?

7 comments:

Ella said...

Ja det förvånar mig inte faktiskt.
För mig är det definitivt terapi.

Jag började blogga för att jag inte hade någon jag kunde prata med om vissa saker och så är det ju fortfarande. Det mesta jag skriver är sådant som måste ut men som jag inte kan sätta ord på högt för det gör för ont.

Att skriva tror jag är lika nyttigt som vilken samtalsterapi som helst.

Maria said...

Som jag skrattade när jag läste rubriken, det är ju precis så det är!!! Jag fattar knappt hur jag klarade mig utan alla er bloggisar för 5 månader sedan.

Hur jag börjde? En kompis bloggade och berättade hur kul det var. Jag vågade inte och tänkte att jag har ju inget att skriva om så jag struntade i det. En dag ringde Joakim från jobbet och sa att han hade startat en blogg och då blev jag så arg för att inte jag hade någon och började blogga jag med. Idag säger Joakim att han skapade ett bloggonster som jämt tänker på nloggen och kompisarna där... KRAM

.......... said...

Yes I believe it has a healing effect, well depending on what you write of course and if it is ones purpose. The 8 things list is done so now I´m almost all naked ;) Please be gentle with my fragile stuff *lol*
Peace, love & sunshine ;)

P I F F L A N said...

Ella: Ja, eller hur? Vilken tur att vi kommit på bloggandet :)

Maria: Visst är det lustigt? På tal om att leva i en cyber, hi-tech värld :) Kul att Joakim lurade dig till bloggandet ;)

Butterfly: Ok, Going to your site immediatly to check out what you have written :)

Anonymous said...

Mitt bloggande i kombination med samtalsterapi har öppnat dörrar för mig. Jag är inte alls förvånad över statistiken som du skriver om här. Människor har ett stort behov av att berätta och nu finns det en ny publik. En publik som kan delta, trösta, känna med eller hämta kraft.

Jag började blogga i februari i år men innan visste jag knappt vad en blogg var för något.

P I F F L A N said...

Jo samma för mig. Dörrarna till livet och att komma vidare hoppas jag.

Shadow said...

hey! i started blogging to deal with my dependency. i went to rehab but is sa, aa and meetings just don't happen. so i started the blog firstly to record what i did in rehab, and secondly i hoped to get some much needed advice from all the other bloggers out there who are dealing with the same problems i am dealing with. and it worked!